Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm Baaaaack! Moving and Broken Stuff.

Not having internet was a big pain in the patootie.  No phone and no TV I was living with, but I like the internet.  A lot.  And with no smart phone, I forgot there was a world outside of Paris.  Which in and of itself is not always a bad thing.

I have been waiting patiently, and will join the eight million other people buying the iPhone4S on the 14th of October.  (Think I'll have to wait in line long?)  If anyone else is planning on getting one at the Carrousel du Louvre Apple Store let me know.  We can camp out together.  

Once we were in the new place we could get the neighbors signal for a few hours a day, but it was never consistent.  Needless to say I did a lot of reading.  And unpacking of many boxes.  I knew we had a lot of crap, but wow.  Anyone need a shower organizer that doesn't fit on our French shower heads?  Still has the tags on it from The Container Store.  (Dear goodness I miss that place.)

Speaking of moving, on moving day we showed up and there were nice moving men from Belgium, but no truck.  Just lots of cars parked where the truck should be, right next to the signs telling people not to park there because a really big truck needed to park there.  Here is the nice tow truck man helping those nice people learn a valuable lesson about reading signs.
I'd heard they were going to use a lift to get all of our things into the new place, but it was more impressive than I'd thought.  
Please oh please oh please don't drop any of my stuff 4 floors down.
Most impressive was their 10 minute struggle to get the King Size mattress through the window.  There was a point I thought it wouldn't make it.  Thank goodness it fit!
You can do it!  Mama needs a good nights sleep!

Notice those tall boxes on the right?  Those are IKEA bookcases.  I end up buying new ones every time we move as inevitably they get destroyed.  Glad I bought them in the states preemptively as sure enough the old ones were broken, and I saved a ton of euros as IKEA France is much more expensive.  I figure I can use that money to buy the matching bag for these boots.  OK.  Back from dreamland.

Then came the boxes.  Oh lord there were a lot of boxes.  And bins of toys.  And books.  Lots and lots of books.  And more broken stuff.
This was the biggest loss since these chairs have been
discontinued.  Be wary if I invite you over
for dinner.  Just kidding!  It's now the official, "I don't
feel like hanging up my clothes" chair in the bedroom.
So much for the worlds most expensive trash can.
I still plan on using it.  I can't imagine throwing a
trash can away when all I'm going to use it for is trash.
(And you better believe I brought a Costco sized
box of Cheez-It's with me to Paris!  Don't judge,
they're like crack.  )
























And just in case you didn't notice the gorgeous hardwood floors, the landlord did refinish the nasty floors after all.  This is what they used to look like, yuck, and here they are now.  

We were shocked.  The whole apartment looks brighter, and now I don't have to buy wall to wall carpet!  Hooray!  

All is well friends.  Now off to cook!

No comments: